West Kelowna/Kelowna and the Okanagan Valley
Having lived, worked and travelled extensively throughout the world we understand just how time consuming planning a trip can be, and although these days the internet does make it considerably easier, it is always good to have some local insight into an area.
Consequently, when we moved to West Kelowna we went out and explored thoroughly getting to know the Okanagan Valley so as to be able to share it with our guests we have also put together a list of 101 + Things to Do In the Okanagan Valley, a copy of which is found in each guest room. So, if you stay for 2 nights or 2 weeks, there are suggested itineraries for the immediate area or day long adventures and of course we are on hand to offer advice with directions, further suggestions or to make reservations for you.
People flock to the Okanagan Valley for its 120 + wonderful wineries encompassing world class to "wanna be" world class. Other folks come for the huge variety of golf courses ranging from beginner to championship; or for the great variety of water sports on Lake Okanagan. Add biking (or our favourite e-biking), hiking, zip-lining, dining in the many fabulous restaurants (Kelowna is the host city for the Canadian Culinary Championships), enjoying the art galleries, museums and many gardens, and you too will agree: the Okanagan Valley is a summer recreational paradise! Then, of course, during the winter, its "champagne powder" provides the perfect setting for alpine skiing, snowboarding, X-country skiing, snow-shoeing, tobogganing or the latest sport: fat-biking! Or go to an extremely exciting hockey game and support the local WHL Kelowna Rockets team, one of the leagues best. Yes, the Okanagan Valley has it all!
The following is an abbreviated suggestion of some of the things to include during your stay just in the greater Kelowna/West Kelowna area with links for you to peruse further:
- Mission Hill Winery acclaimed Canada's Winery of the Year (again) in 2015 and its wine, grounds and setting rivals any winery in the world. It is also our neighbour and is walking distance from A Lakeview Heights B&B.
- Quail's Gate Winery another fine winery and among the top 20 best Winery Restaurants on our planet and just a 3 minute drive (or longer, hilly walk) from our B&B.
- The Westside Wine Tour Route includes 9 wineries all within a 10 minute drive of our home.
- If golf is your passion, try our favourite, the technically challenging Two Eagles Golf Course, long enough to satisfy every golfer, but short enough to leave you time for other area adventures. The restaurant, 19 Okanagan Bar & Grill (our favourite for casual dining) overlooks the 18th hole, the lake and surrounding valley.
- Extending throughout the whole Okanagan Valley is the famous KVR Rail Trail best known for its historic trestle bridges: an amazing biking or hiking trail and part of the Trans-Canada Trail.
- Enjoy Kelowna's City Park for a lovely lakeside stroll, or during the summer months "Music in the Park" concerts and special festivals.
- If you love the water, try swimming, paddle boarding, wakeboarding, jet-skiing, jet boating, dinner cruises or even parasailing. Lake Okanagan is 160km (100 miles) long so there is lots of space for all to enjoy.
- For the more relaxed visitor, the Kelowna Art Gallery and surrounding smaller galleries are sure to please.
- If you love the relaxation of a garden, right in downtown Kelowna you will find peace in the Kasugai Japanese Garden, or venture further afield for the Lavender Farm or Elysium Gardens. This area is also famous for its seasonal tree fruit – cherries, apricots, peaches, apples, pears - so why not enjoy ‘u-pick’ or take a Farm Tour.
- Or, if you are just wanting to relax and read a book, we invite you to relax on our guest deck with its 180 deg. view overlooking Lake Okanagan, the vineyards of Mission Hill and Quail's Gate Wineries and surrounding mountains. At night enjoy the Kelowna city lights and don't miss the romantic view from our decks of a full moon shining across the lake!
We would love to meet you and help you to maximize your visit to this incredibly beautiful part of British Columbia.